Troubleshoot “connection to KMS server failed” error

Troubleshoot connection to kms server failed error

I have received a lot of complaint emails saying that they could not activate their program after folowing instructions in my videos. The issues described here are related to an error message they got as below.

The connection to my KMS server failed! Trying to connect to another one… Please wait…
Sorry! Your version is not supported.

There are two main causes of this issue.

1. The cause of client

First of all, please make sure that Windows Update is enabled and your intenret connection is stable. To check if my KMS servers are blocked or not, please open your internet browser then try going to: http://kms8.msguides.com/. If the page is visible, it means this server is not blocked.
One other point to note is that you need to run command prompt/batch file with admin rights.

Make sure "administrator" is in the title
Make sure “administrator” is in the title

Otherwise, the connection will be denied by UAC system.

2. The cause of server

Recently I need to do some experiments in the kms7 server so I changed the default KMS port (1688) to another one. And besides, I upgraded CPU and RAM memory on the kms server.
Because the number of daily clients is too big and still increasing over time, so the server can also be stuck at times. You can check and see if the server is overloaded or not here: http://status.msguides.com.

To check if the port 1688 is open, you can use the telnet command on windows or use this online port check tool in simpler way.

check if port 1688 is open - Troubleshoot "connection to KMS server failed" error

Who am I ?
I am Guang, a freelancer and a blogger. I'm currently managing KMS system, MSGuides blog and 2 tech Youtube channels.

238 thoughts on “Troubleshoot “connection to KMS server failed” error”

1. I received a message after trying your method , Sorry, your version is not supported
    Have W 10 Pro N
    I have error 0x80041002
    I not very bilingue
    Bonne journée (du Québec)

2. kms8.msguides.com IP address has changed to 104.244.78.23

Upon running the Command Prompt (cmd) as an admin, I used the following command alternatives in sequence:

slmgr /ipk yourlicensekey
    slmgr /104.244.78.23:1688
    slmgr /ato

How to open firewall ports in Windows 10:
    • Navigate to Control Panel, System and Security and Windows Firewall.
    • Select Advanced settings and highlight Inbound Rules in the left pane.
    • Right click Inbound Rules and select New Rule.
    • Add the port you need to open and click Next.
    • Add the protocol (TCP or UDP) and the port number into the next window and click Next.
    • Select Allow the connection in the next window and hit Next.
    • Select the network type as you see fit and click Next.
    • Name the rule something meaningful and click Finish.

Note: In this case I added 2 Rules (TCP 1688 and one for UDP 1688)

1. “slmgr /104.244.78.23:1688” command did not work for me. What I did is open notepad as administrator, open hosts file (location: “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc”) and add a new line with the following text
      “104.244.78.23 kms8.msguides.com”
      After that the activation worked fine.

1. kms8.msguides.com IP changed to 104.244.78.23.
      And its 1688 port is CLOSED !
      Could anyone open it for us, please ?
      Thanks in advance.

3. No guide on how to open port 1688 on your PC…? this just checks if it open or not, some users might not know how to open a port in the Windows Firewall or there Router(I hope its just the Firewall.. 🙂 ), but as well depends on what Antivirus there using and if it has a Firewall..?

I only use Defender, nothing else, Antivirus that you have to pay for are a rip off, most viruses are made by the main companies anyway, the point of a virus is to make you buy a Antivirus.. 🙂

4. Hi, I get an error message saying: “Sorry! Your version is not supported.” What can I try next to get my Windows 8.1 activated?

5. I am getting error while using command prompt way of activation

No Key Management Service could be contacted.

Please help

6. Hello, thank you for your work. I am very satisfied about the Office 2019 KMS until now.
    http://status.msguides.com. –> OK
    Port 1688 open –> OK
    Starting the cmd-file as administrator says:
    The connectipon to the KMS-server failed …………………. (3)
    Sorry your version is not supported.

Until today it worked perfect.

Office starts. A popup comes up: “There is a promblem with your Office-licence. By ligitime software”
    Click it away and a yellow bar comes up under the menu in Word and Excel.

Please help!

Best regards, Arnoud

1. remove the port and just use “kms8.msguides.com”

elevatated command propmpt/Powershell command: