Remove “You may be a victim of software counterfeiting” notification

Posted by in Computer Tips | Last updated on Sticky
Remove GET GENUINE OFFICE notification

Recently, I received more emails from users who are using my servers to activate your Microsoft products asking to solve a problem that has become increasingly common in recent days. It is related to the emergence of a yellowish notification bar with the words “GET GENUINE OFFICE You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. Avoid security risks and get genuine Office now” or “Your license isn’t genuine, and you may be a victim of software counterfeiting. Avoid interruption and keep your files safe with genuine Office today” on their apps.

I have tried my best to reply to all your emails but I could not because the number of emails I receive each day is a large amount. Sometimes you might not get any answers,  I also feel sorry about that. That is why that I decided to write this article.

The reason

One thing for sure that the question “what is the cause of the problem?” would be raised. Actually, this problem is not serious. I think it is just a notification used to warn clients who purchased digital activation scripts of Office from eBay, Alibaba or any online shopping sites on the internet that you activated your Office with a trial license instead of a genuine product key. Many placed dependence upon sellers’ words and thought that they bought at a bargain. In fact, they have been ripped off because what they got exactly is the KMS script and it is shared on my blog for free. But sadly, most people are still unfamiliar with it.

The solution

A detailed solution was introduced in a recent article on the Microsoft website. Besides, if you usually follow the MSG community you may already know that there was a heated discussion on this issue. Active members have suggested various solutions for several days and finally we find the best one. I would like to extend my grateful thanks to DrVlaming, Vanchester90 and other ones for your kind support.

We had the answer though there are still a lot of people asking me to confirm the authenticity of the solution. That is why today I decide to put the solution on the MSG homepage instead of the MSG forum.

Method 1: Disable optional connected experiences

Time needed: 1 minute.

How to disable the annoying notification bar on Microsoft Office apps.

1. Open your Office app

Just start the Office program which has annoying notification.

2. Open Privacy Settings

Goto File > Options > General > Privacy Settings or Home > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Privacy Options > Privacy Settings.

At this dialog box, uncheck the “Enable optional connected experiences” option.Remove "GET GENUINE OFFICE You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. Avoid security risks and get genuine Office" notification

3. Restart your Office app

Close your app and reopen it to apply changes to the settings.

Method 2: Remove KeyManagementServiceName from registry

Open the command prompt as admin then run the following commands:

reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform" /f /v KeyManagementServiceName
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform" /f /v KeyManagementServiceName

After completing the above steps, the notification bar will dissolve immediately.

For faster support, please visit here for troubleshooting.
Need more help? Please email me at msguides.com@gmail.com

192 thoughts on “Remove “You may be a victim of software counterfeiting” notification

1. Luigi

IDIOT-PROOF INSTRUCTIONS

Open a cmd command prompt as admin, and type:

nslookup

to open the console of this network tool. At the new prompt type:

kms8.msguides.com

to obtain the IP address corresponding to the URL. Take note of it, then type:

exit

to leave the nslookup prompt, returning to the main DOS-style one. Change the active directory to the well known subfolder of the Office installation folder with:

cd /d %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office16 (64-bit systems)
    or
    cd /d %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office16 (32-bit systems)

then type:

cscript ospp.vbs /remhst

to remove the kms server name kms8.msguides.com from the registry (no need to handle keys directly). Then type:

cscript ospp.vbs /sethset:[kms8.msguides.com IP address found before with nslookup],

e.g.:

cscript ospp.vbs /sethset:193.29.63.133

Wait for the message confirming the change, and that’s all. I even managed to update Office without getting the infamous, nasty window and yellow banner. Hope this can be useful. Good luck.

1. Edgar

I appreciate your effort, but that didn’t work for me 🙁
      Got all the correct messages, like you said, but that d**n yellow bar lives on.

1. Luigi

Ok, then try uninstalling Office, then reinstalling it using the MANUAL procedure from this awesome site, in which you have to use the line:

cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:193.29.63.13

to set the kms, then the ones to set the port and finally activate office.

If you used some sort of software to activate Office, be sure it didn’t left anything in the registry, most likely in the path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

where you could maybe find some leftovers from that KMS-something software. Check it even before trying to reinstall. Hope this helps.

2. vrno

> nslookup kms8.msguides.com
      Server: kms8.msguides.com
      Address: 193.29.63.133

*** kms8.msguides.com can’t find nslookup: No response from server
      > exit

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd /d %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office1
      The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd /d %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office16

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16>cscript ospp.vbs /remhst
      Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.812
      Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

—Processing————————–
      —————————————
      Successfully applied setting.
      —————————————
      —Exiting—————————–

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.812
      Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

—Processing————————–
      —————————————
      —————————————
      —Exiting—————————–

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16>

1. Luigi

@vrno

Maybe it was my first post’s fault (I wrote it right in the second one just a few secs later, tho). It’s NOT:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16>cscript ospp.vbs /sethset:193.29.63.133 -> WRONG !!!

BUT:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16>cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:193.29.63.133 -> CORRECT !!!

“sethst”, not “sethset”.

Try again, hope it was only a mistyping error.

2. Paul

Changing the IP address in the registry worked. Thanks to whoever worked this out. Much appreciated!
    🙂

3. Geremy

Hi Guang,

After a recent windows update this no longer works. “Cannot find specified registry key”

Any ideas?

1. Emmanuel

This worked fine, thanks.
      If the IP changes for any reason in the future, you can go to any site like network-tools.com to obtain the IP for kms8.msguides.com domain.

1. Parco

I use this powershell script to obtain the IPs:

$listfilepath = $PSScriptRoot + “\KMS server list.txt”;

echo “Last update: ” | Out-File -FilePath $listfilepath -NoNewline -Force -Verbose;
        Get-Date -DisplayHint DateTime | Out-File -FilePath $listfilepath -Append -Verbose;

$hostname = “kms.msguides.com”;

$addresses = [System.Net.Dns]::GetHostAddresses($hostname);
        echo ($hostname + ” ” + [System.String]::Join(“, “, $addresses)) | Out-File -FilePath $listfilepath -Append -Verbose;

for($i=1; $i -le 9; $i++)
        {
        $hostname = “kms” + $i + “.msguides.com”;

$addresses = [System.Net.Dns]::GetHostAddresses($hostname);

}

4. Jay

I was able to get rid of the notification. I’ll show you what I did. First, I uninstalled Office 2019 from Control Panel and restarted. Then I deleted Office registries (you can find them online). Then I installed Office 365 (it’s easy to find out how to download office 365 .img file online). And then Office is automatically activated for me the first time I opened it and I no longer see the annoying notification. Hope it works for you too.

5. Clarence Szeto

I had tried your method but I still got the annoying pop up window that my office is not genuine when I started the office apps

6. John Marron

I don’t seem to have any problems running Office 2013 but have this problem with Office 2016 and Office 2019.
    Is there a reason why?

7. ivan

Hi,

have tried the first step uncheck the “Enable optional connected experiences” option but result is failed.

tried second wit cmd admin, copy and paste both commands but error saying couldn’t find the registry

8. Charles de CHAMPEAUX

Bonjour
    malgre toutes vos modifs faites j’ai toujours la fenetre “Nous avons ……”
    pour info elle est apparu depuis la derniere mise a jour de W10
    avez vous une idee du PB

a vous lire
    Slts
    CCB

9. Oams

I found a solution. I install Office 2019 pro again over the existing version on my pc and turn off the automatic updates immediately. The privacy settings are on. The yellow message is gone 🙂

10. tiltuti

Even if I try the contents posted here, the message does not disappear. Please tell me another method.

11. Mark

I’ve tried both these methods, and neither of them work. Considering just uninstalling Office and reinstalling it, see if that makes a difference.

12. Noone

I tried all of the options listed. Clean/change KMS server. Uninstall/reinstall. Ran scripts in Admin level command prompt. Etc. It works until I do Office updates. I’m on Win 10 Pro 21H1. Been here for a while. Office didn’t complain until earlier today. I used the MS Support and Recovery Assistant to remove all traces of Office (quite a few past versions). Then clean install. Swap license to Volume, run KMS script. Works for now. I have turned off updates for Office.

13. vamp

the step 1 worked for sometimes but the message is back.
    i havnt tried step 2. and i dont understand about changing regedit manually.

14. Pompoo

I ended up reinstalling Office and installed Office 365 and activated it with MSGuide’s 365 activation key and thank G*d it finally worked, that annoying pop-up is gone. I’m g;ad I switch to O365 tho, the UI is definitely better than 2019.

1. Pompoo

It’s been a week since I switched and that annoying pop-up still hasn’t showed up and that goodness for that. Someone in the comments was right about the reason why this was showing because of the wrong update channel or something, I did do an experimentation a little bit especially with Project and Visio and both actually showed the pop-up when I didn’t convert the license to volume one. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the license key but this time I converted to the volume one and the pop-up is totally gone.

15. Help Plz

Is there a way to reverse or undo whatever it is that the script does? ended up getting a office 365 license and removed the old installation but when I install the new software it seems like it just keeps picking up the KMS settings and ignoring the new license for office 365 and just turns it into office 2019? thank u

16. Bill Ainsworth

I tried method for removing the “Get Genuine Office Error” using method 2. One did not work for me. The command prompt returned “C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg delete “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform” /f /v KeyManagementServiceName
    ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg delete “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform” /f /v KeyManagementServiceName
    ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

Any suggestions?

17. Eric Mauss

I deactivated the message as per option 1. It worked for a while, but the annoying message is coming back. I checked and CONNECTED SERVICES are still disabled.
    I check my REGISTRY and those key do not exist. When I tried to run the command from an admin cmd prompt (copied and pasted) the system was “unable to find the specified registry key or value”
    Please advise

1. Eric Mauss

I have “activation.cmd” that came with the software. In it is this command: Office…&cscript //nologo slmgr.vbs /ckms >nul&cscript //nologo ospp.vbs /setprt:1688 >nul&cscript //nologo ospp.vbs /unpkey:6MWKP >nul&cscript //nologo ospp.vbs /inpkey:NMMKJ-6RK4F-KMJVX-8D9MJ-6MWKP >nul&set i=1

Can I just input the NM… key manually?

18. mohammed

I tried the 2 of them It’s doesn’t work. and still the same with screen dialog ” Why risk it? get genuine office

19. Stojan

Regedit: replace all kms8.msguides.com to myserver.aaa
    Hosts: add 193.29.63.133 myserver.aaa
    YES, Working. (For Now)
    Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019
    WinVer 21H1 19043.1023

1. Stojan Logar

Hi,
        KeyManagementServiceName ——> myserver.aaa

Don’t Forget “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts”
        (Open NoteBook with Admin rights !)

1. Mariano

Hi Stojan:

KeyManagmentServiceName is set to myserver.aaa. Type = REG_SZ in all entries in regedit:
      Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\0ff1ce15-a989-479d-af46-f275c6370663\d450596f-894d-49e0-966a-fd39ed4c4c64
      Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\0ff1ce15-a989-479d-af46-f275c6370663\85dd8b5f-eaa4-4af3-a628-cce9e77c9a03

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file is set to:

# ::1 localhost
      0.0.0.1 scinstallcheck.mcafee.com
      193.29.63.133 myserver.aaa

restarted PC. Same error “there’s a problem with your software license”
      WinVer 21H1 (19043.1023).
      Your help is appreciated.

1. Stojan

Hi,
        I have 3 lines :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\0ff1ce15-a989-479d-af46-f275c6370663\e13ac10e-75d0-4aff-a0cd-764982cf541c

KeyManagementServiceName = myserver.aaa

1. Mariano

Hi Stojan, thanks for your answer.
          I manually added the third line, but the problem is still there.
          By the way, KeyManagementServicePort is set to 1688 in alll three.

1. Stojan

Hi,
            Interesting, because I don’t have KeyManagementServicePort
            only KeyManagementServiceName (set to myserver.aaa)